June 14, 2010

Back to Work, But Jazz Fest Marches On

[Day 3]

Charnett Moffett Trio
-- The guy's got mad skills and for the most part, I enjoyed the gig. Some of the stuff was a little out there and I wondered if the band were always in sync, but not a bad way to start the evening.

Christine Ohlman & Rebel Montez -- The Beehive Queen can rock the blues and put on a lively show. Too bad (but good for her) the place was packed -- otherwise I think there would have been a whole lotta dancin' goin' on.

Chuchito Valdes -- Talk about flying off the keys. This. Guy. Was. Incredible. Though dismayed at first when the place was packed despite getting there very early, this performance was worth the wait, the sore feet, stiff legs, tight back and general tiredness from having stood through the Ohlman show just before. I don't know that I could say that about any other performance, but I'm sure glad I stayed and ignored my initial instinct to bag it and head home for a foot bath.

[Day 4]

Ryan Quigley Sextet
-- Yep, still loving Ryan Quigley and his trumpet and his sextet was just as enrapturing as Brass Jaw was on Saturday. I really can't think of a better venue for these guys -- both ensembles captured the resonance the church's echo-y acoustics have to offer. I was a bit torn to have to leave before they finished up, but after last night's near miss at the Montage, we didn't want to miss our chance to see Trombone Shorty over at the tent.

Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue -- This was the guy in the lineup that I had to see. I fell in love with him back in 2006 when he and other New Orleans musicians guested on Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip and played an incredible performance of O' Holy Night. The write-ups for the festival brochures all suggested he rocks and funks out just as well as he emotes. Well, he sure funked out the house tonight and just when you thought he couldn't possibly get any better, he closed out the night with a rendition of When the Saints Go Marchin' In -- Louie style. Literally. Shorty, who can rock it on the trombone, trumpet and on vocals pulled out an incredible replication of that seemingly singular gravelly voice we've all come to love, right down to the scat. And, since I couldn't get enough, I plan on going to the Harro tomorrow to catch some more.

Oh man, do I love Jazz Fest.

No comments: