April 05, 2009

Play That Funky Music ...

Last year I wore the short dress with the go-go boots. As much as I loved getting all decked out, this year I wanted to go a bit more casual to the annual Ugly Disco. (Proceeds from this event go to the Wilmot Cancer Center and the local Boys & Girls Club). What's more casual than jeans, right? However, try as I might despite checking out the local thrift shops, bell bottoms are hard to come by and I refuse to pay an arm & a leg for them at the costume shop.

About a year and a half ago I inherited a sewing machine. My mom sent it my way when her friend moved to the West Coast and left the bulky stuff behind (it's one of those that come in the cabinet). I've been meaning to take sewing lessons for years now and just haven't gotten around to it. The last time I used a sewing machine was about two decades ago in 8th grade Home Ec. But, finding what appeared to be an easy tutorial for making bell bottoms, I wondered how hard it could really be. Even though it took awhile to read through the manual and re-familiarize myself with the workings of the machine, these were easy and took only a little over an hour.

While I definitely need more practice (my hems are rather horrid), I am actually pretty pleased with how they turned out.

IMG_0717 IMG_0715

Though I'd love to take credit for the embroidery, I confess that the denim came that way from the fabric shop. Sewn to a pair of ten-dollar jeans I found at Marshalls, and paired with silver platform sandals purchased in the late 90s when they resurfaced in fashion, I joined my friends and got down tonight.

We were not-so-much cage people, but there were certainly plenty of takers:

IMG_0729

Don't you wish you were there?

No comments: