March 18, 2006

Michellina

A couple months ago, my friend Michelle attempted to steal a pair of fingerless mitts I had on. She claimed she would have tried harder if they had been baby blue. So, it was a no-brainer in terms of what she would be getting for her birthday:

Michellina
Pattern: My own
Yarn: Rowan Cork, Horizon, 1 ball
Needles: Aluminum US 10

I knit these flat, with some minimal shaping -- I wanted something different than just a sewn up rectangle, so I made these slightly fitted:

100_0755

100_0765

I learned a couple new things while working these up. I didn't know there were two different slanting make 1 increases. Actually, I don't think it ever occurred to me that the make 1 slanted one way or the other. I also learned how to do the alternate cable cast on, which is much simpler than its lengthy name implies. It's just casting on in K1P1 rib, so you can jump right into the rib!

I'm also loving knitting cables without cable needles. Korin, you were so right! It does go much faster, and is much less cumbersome.

These suckers knit up super quick. I did run into a few snags when it came to placing the buttonhole for the thumb, and had to give it a few go's before getting it right. Still, once those details were worked out, actual knit time was only about 2 1/2 hours for the pair, including the seaming. Which means that not only did I finish these in time for Michelle's birthday, I'm actually a week early. Pigs are now flying.

2 comments:

Korin said...

Lovely work! :D I need tomake some of these for my SIL...
Isn't cabling wo a needle so freeing! :D it's like bowling naked. sort of. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, did I say yummmy and thank you for the wonderful Koigu you gifted me with :). My colors all the way :). Thank youuuuuu my secret pal :).