June 02, 2005

Just a Leetle Snag ...

Still no internet hook-up at home, but I'm hanging out at the 'rents' tonight and bumming their access (what else are parents for, right?). So, I'd been working on the afghan the other night, and though it's coming along rather nicely, and I'm about a quarter of the way through, I needed a little break.

I had finished up my first sock sometime last week (note the lack of plural, as it really was just the one mate), but, well, made a bit of a goof. A pretty funny goof, actually. The pattern called for using kitchener to sew up the toe. It seemed pretty easy enough to do. Slipped my stitches onto two needles, and started kitchenering away. Then finished up the heel, and my heart was thumping with excitement at having my first sock. Despite the onset of summer-like temperatures, my cushy, red, woolen sock was beckoning me to slip it on. So, I dutifully weaved in my ends and pulled it on. If only I had thought to take a picture of it then, it really was a rather amusing sight. When slipping my stitches for the toe, instead of slipping them from needle 2 to 1 and 4 to 3, I must have slipped from 1 to 4 and 3 to 2, because there was the toe seam, sticking straight up and down, instead of lining up with my toes! Granted, the finished product was malleable enough for me to sort of mush down the upright corners and shape it to fit my foot, but still, it was pretty funny. Nonetheless, I kept it intact and threw it into my basket, undecided on whether to frog it, or work up the second sock, and chalk it up to a learning experience.

So there I am, working in a sea of green, and wanting a little something else to do. I look at my sock, and finally decide that it needs to be frogged. I wanted to make the cuffs a bit longer, too as I had originally shortened the pattern a bit, because the measurements seemed a bit long. But on my foot, I decided I wanted it longer after all. So I poke around, looking for my woven ends. Apparently, I wove them in so well, I had trouble finding any loose end for me to unknot. After about 10 minutes of hunting, I find a loose strand that I can start to unwork. Now, I don't know if it was the circular knitting, the kitchener stitching or me just being a complete doofus, but I couldn't get the damn thing to frog! I just ended up with masses of knotted loops, and could not get the stupid sock to just simply unravel. I spent the next hour and a half, unknotting loop after loop, loosing probably about six inches of yarn where the plies were just so tangled up in each other that snipping was the only way to loosen them up.

So, by the end of the night, instead of having a pair of socks, I had no socks, and a headache from the frustration of it all, and an anti-yarn sentiment that burned right through me.

Fortunately, I'm all better now. Still no socks, but I worked a few more rows on the afghan last night, and, well now I have a war story.

L's b-day bash is this weekend. I can't wait to give her the bag!

No comments: