September 17, 2006

A Bit o' Knitting

The second Jaywalker is well on its way, but I did have to put it on hold to knit this wee thing up:

babyraglan

Pattern: Debbie Bliss Baby Raglan
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (3 balls)
Needles: Addi Turbo, Size 9

Just in time for friend Amie's baby shower on Sunday. It's actually a pretty quick knit -- I probably put about 10 hours into it, including seaming time. The Debbie Bliss pattern is available free online in the 6-9 month-old size, and is worked with Cashmerino Aran. The pattern calls for four balls but I only ended up using three, though I went up a size in needles to meet guage. Despite all the "controversy" out there on this yarn, I still love it, and even better, snagged it at half-off. What's to complain about? Cashmere or not, it's insanely soft -- perfect for Baby, though s/he will probably only wear it a couple times before growing out of it!

I confess, I was pleased with the oohs & aahs, and the awed "you made that?" comments directed my way when my little package was opened amongst the car seat, swing and other large ticket items -- it's nice to be appreciated, not that I had any doubts about the recipient. Amie was then quick to point out that I had also knit Lelah which I was sporting for the Indian Summer weather, so I picked up a few more compliments while noshing on the chocolate cake later on. Grandma-to-be requested an adult version (of the sweater) for Christmas or in the alternative, her February birthday, and I was duly warned that she is dead serious. We'll have to see about that though, as I'm still working up the nerve to try my first adult-sized sweater, but I think I've at least determined what that's going to be. I've had this yarn sitting around for awhile waiting to be christened:

100_1087

I think I've found its calling and will give the Hourglass sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts a shot.

No comments: