February 14, 2006

Voices In My Head

Well, it's Kelly's fault anyhow, for tagging her readers with this meme:

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.

1. 1963, Rachael Yamagata -- I was listening to this CD (Happenstance) over the weekend and whenever this track comes on, I just have a fun time with the catchy tune. Wearing flowers in my hair and all ...

2. Need You Tonight, INXS -- The band was on Letterman tonight, and no, they didn't perform this tune, but like many gals my age, this was a staple in our adolescence. The new frontman seems okay, I guess, but it's just not the same. Now I've got to go dig out the old stuff to get my fix.

3. Firebird Suite, Igor Stravinsky -- The local orchestra I play in has got this in rehearsal for our upcoming spring concert. I need to get my hands on a good recording of this; it's been on my to-do list, and I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Any recommendations?

4. La Vie en Rose, Louie Armstrong -- I recently made a CD sampler for a friend who wanted an introduction to this American great. Louie's got quite a few recordings of this tune, but what I love about this particular song is that it's a perfect sampling of both voice and instrument.

5. Bustin' Up a Starbucks, Mike Doughty -- I hear this tune on the radio almost every time I get in the car. Usually, I get annoyed with overplayed tunes, but the fact that the former Soul Coughing dude is back with his gravelly voice makes me happy.

6. Leroy Brown, Jim Croce -- I just happened to look over at my bookshelf and my eye caught a framed picture with some pals, including my pal Elle. This tune was one we always had fun with at karaoke. Now it's in my head and I want to go karaoke.

7. Home for a Rest, Spirit of the West -- This song is never not fun to listen to. Yes, double negative was purposeful.

Ken, Michael, Mike, George, Manda, Korin and Karyn, you guys are It!

Oh hey, I just missed my blogiversary. Oops!

1 comment:

Karen said...

you talkin' about me or another karyn (with a y)??

i love that inxs song, too.....and the bands not the same without michael!!